Saturday, February 04, 2006

Last night, Kristy (my partner) and I went and saw Michael Franti and Spearhead. We've seen them about 6 or 7 times now, but every time that I see them, I'm always amazed at the way the band packages their political message into song. Their music is a type of jazz, hip hop, rock fusion sort of thing. The crowd that is there is usually a funny, eclectic mix of individuals, each one finding their own draw to the music. While I was there, I noticed two specific things. First, the messages in the music are usually a form of political criticism, especially of the state and this administration. Michael Franti went to Iraq and filmed a documentary about his experiences there. Pretty amazing stuff...But I wonder about the effect of his criticism. He is out spreading the word and raising consciousness about specific issues. How does an audience member receive that message? What do they do with it? If there are any fans out there that are familiar with the music, tell me about your experiences. I'm curious.

Second, there was a indigenous peoples social movement representative there. Kristy and I stopped at her booth to speak about the issues she and her movement are fighting for. The movement is called the "Native Movement Collective". It seems that the movement is fighting specifically for the rights to San Francisco mountain up in northern Arizona. Interesting stuff, check it out. According to their information, the fake snow that is produced for the snowboarding park is full of medical waste and other nasty stuff.

All in all, the experience at the concert was a fascinating mix of politics and dancing; to witness and take part in the embodiment of the political message. When Kristy and I saw them in Nevada City a couple years ago, by the end of the concert, Michael Franti had come down from the stage and had the entire crowd arm in arm with each other, singing the chorus in harmony. Powerful message, powerful collective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home